Saturday, September 6, 2014

Home Canned Tomato Soup

Home canned tomato soup is one my family's favorites.  I like it because it healthy and convenient all in one jar!  At mealtime it only needs to be warmed up.
 
First, quarter your tomatoes and fill up your roaster pans.


 

 
Next put those roaster pans in a 350 oven for 1.5 hours.
 


Get your supplies ready while those bake.  I use a fruit & vegetable strainer on my KitchenAid stand mixer.  I use this for applesauce, too.
 

 
Process your tomatoes through the strainer.  Hand crank strainers work just fine, too.
 
 
The recipe I use calls for 10 quarts of tomato juice, so I use 5 jars, fill them each twice, and dump them into a big pot.
 
 
To this you add sugar, canning salt, pepper, onion salt and celery salt.
 
 
While this heats up on the stove, melt 1lb of butter in a saucepan, and have 2 cups of flour ready.
 
 
After the butter melts, mix in the flour, followed by some juice to make a smooth mixture.
 
 
Now, mix this in with the soup in your big pot. Bring to boil, and its ready to can!
 
 
Process quarts 30 minutes in a hot water bath canner.
 
 
Today's bushel made 19.75 jars of soup, 2 jars of juice (used to goulash, soup, etc.) and about 6 large tomatoes in the fridge for BLT's. Yum!!
 
Some people think that juicing tomatoes wastes too much of the tomato.  You actually get the keep the juice and the pulp, and only let go of the seeds, skins, and cores.  From 1 bushel (-6) tomatoes, I had this to feed to the pigs:
 
 
Here is the link to the recipe I used:
 
 
Happy Canning!
-Terri

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! What did you put on the end of your mixer attachment to get the juice to go into the jars so nicely? Looks handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pulp comes out the very end, and drops into a bowl. The hubby put together 2 pieces of 1/4 inch plywood that my mixer sits on-allowing for enough space for the jar (with funnel) to sit right underneath the fruit & vegetable strainer discharge area. It was a great investment, I am so grateful for it!

    ReplyDelete