Thursday, October 24, 2013

Market Pigs and New Digs!

Wednesday was a big day here!

In the morning we took the pigs to the butcher.  That's right folks, it's harvest season!  Mary and Jerry were very well-behaved....


Usually, we all go on this annual trip-but I told Rick we couldn't really take another day off of school for something so trivial.  To my surprise, he called in a substitute!  Mom came over and facilitated the boys while they worked on their lessons.  Rick and I took the "littles" with us, and it was a nice break.  We're so thankful that the hogs were healthy and made it to harvest without incident.  We are very fortunate to have home grown grass fed beef, chicken, turkey and pork.  Although we're taught to store up our riches in heaven, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm storing some up in the freezer.....

And....

The cows moved into the new barn!  As I waited for them to exit the parlor and come into the barn,  I took a deep breath and thought about how far we have come.  The past 11 years have not always been easy, but they were so full of joy.  Some of the best memories we have are from some of the most challenging issues we faced.  Good times, indeed.  Nope, I wouldn't trade or change any of it.  God's timing is perfect, and "slow and steady wins the race".

I took some video of the cows entering the barn.  They're like kids on Christmas morning!  It's the same as the first day of grazing in the Spring, with the running, jumping and mooing as they check out their new surroundings.  If you read this blog via email, and you want to see the video, you will have the visit the blog page itself at faithfamilyonthefarm.blogspot.com .

Video:
 
 

So, we'll cross "build a new barn'' off the list.  Occasionally I say to Rick (in terms of the farm and our future) "now what?" and he says "...now we enjoy it!!!"  I'll let him win this discussion-for now.

-Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment