Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Story of Us

March marks many milestones for us-the day we met, both our birthdays, and our wedding anniversary!  It's a good thing we're not milking so we can celebrate all those events.

When people learn that Rick is from Pennsylvania, they often ask how we met.  Rick will laugh and say "She just drove in the drive one day!"  And well, that's exactly how it happened.

In the summer of 1999 I had done a college internship near where Rick lived and worked. However, that summer he went out west on a custom harvest crew.  Must not have been our time yet.  The following March (3rd, to be exact) I went back down to tour some farms and take pictures and measurements of retro-fitted New Zealand style swing line parlors for my Dad, who I was working full time for.  My former boss had suggested that I go to the farm that Rick was working on.  It ended up being a 4 hour tour.

I was sure he was "the one".  But, I didn't want to mess this up, so to be sure I sent Dad down to check him out. I disguised it as Dad going to a pasture walk with his boss and the farmers dad knows down there, but I think we all knew what was going on.  If Dad approved, well then we would proceed.

Later that summer, I was very clear with Rick.  Given our distance I made sure he understood my plans.  I said "I'm going buy the second farm and start a dairy."  He responded with "sounds good to me."  So it took about 30 seconds to determine our lifelong career.

In August he proposed to me.  When I came home with the ring, my Dad and I had a very touching conversation. It went like this:
Dad: Its okay if you want to move down there.  Its not that far away.  (Read: I'm not going to hold a grudge and be angry or bitter if you, my last child, moves away and leaves nobody to take on the family farming tradition.  I might be a little disappointed, but I'll get over it. Don't stay here for me and your fifth generation farming roots.)
Me: There's no opportunity for us down there. We're buying the second farm and starting a dairy. (Read: Move away from here? Really? )
Dad: Okay then. I just wanted to tell you that.

In making the wedding plans, it went like this:
Mom and Dad: You have to get married during the dry season or in the fall.  We can't have a wedding during calving or haying.
Me: I guess its March then.  This driving once a month to Pennsylvania is getting expensive. Not to mention the phone bills.

I'm sure that's how everyone picks their wedding date, right?

So that was planned, and within a year of meeting we were married.  I can't say that its the ideal situation, having all those special days in one month-but when they occur doesn't matter, only that they do occur.

For my birthday this year Rick and the boys made me this mason jar light fixture/chandelier.  I absolutely love it! Its the perfect size for the room it was created for, and it fits our personality and the character of the house.




This year we will celebrate our 13th anniversary.  Its hard to believe its been that long!  Most likely we'll be outside prepping for calving and caring for the new arrivals.  We might go out to dinner, but at this point in the dry-season budget it won't be anything over the top.  One advantage of all these special days happening in March-there's no overspending on gifts!

So our hair is a little thinner and our waists a little thicker, but 13 years later our love is deeper than ever!
(see-I can wear a dress and be all romantic... occasionally!) 

My niece is also getting married this March! She is the first of our nieces and nephews to marry. I have to say, they picked a great month!  We are so excited for them and look forward to sharing our anniversary month with them.

In a week or so we'll break out the happy birthday banner for Rick, and once again enjoy some cake, ice cream, homemade cards from the kids, and a break from the daily grind.  It will most likely be the last "ha-rah" before the real fun begins!

Happy March!

No comments:

Post a Comment