Thursday, July 2, 2015

An Irritated Oddball

We saw a friend at a gas station awhile back.  In conversation, when we inquired about the kids, we somehow got onto the topic of college. Our friend said that all of his kids would have to go to college, because unlike ours, they don't have anything to "fall back on".  His exact quote was
"Your kids have farming to fall back on".

This irritated me to no end.  First of all, farming is not a "fall-back" career. Farming is not what you do because you were unsuccessful somewhere else.  Farming is not what you do when you are unable to go to college.  Believe it or not, you actually have to be pretty smart & sharp to be a farmer.

Farming is a choice.  Many farmers have college degrees in different segments of agriculture.  I have a college education...and I choose to be a farmer. I'm not a farmer because I couldn't make it elsewhere. Farming was my FIRST career choice.

Secondly-having kids does not mean they will be handed our business.  It's our business-not their's.  If they choose to farm, they may still go to college.  If they choose to farm, they will have to make the investment just like we did.  If they end up with a mediocre work ethic (even after our tireless parenting efforts) that result in a failure elsewhere-they probably won't work here either.

Are our kids at an advantage because we choose to farm and own our own business? Maybe.  But it was us who CREATED that advantage.  There is no law saying that other parents cannot create an advantage for their kids.  Buy a couple of lawn mowers, create a business, and teach your kids how to work, how to interact with people, and how to manage their money (or find a neighbor who needs some help and have them work-even if it's volunteering at first).  We did....but do we deserve all the credit?  Of course not.  It is By the grace of God that I am what I am (1 Corinthians 15:10 ) and we remember that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)  There were many days this adventure survived on a prayer!

One of Family Life Radio's daily devotions touched on this well:

How Hard Work Does Pay Off

When the brothers were growing up, their friends felt sorry for them. They were always doing chores assigned by their mom and dad: weeding the garden, running errands, carrying out the garbage. Yet, when the boys reached adulthood, they earned more money and had more job satisfaction. Even more, they experienced better marriages and closer relationships with their own children. They were healthier and lived longer.

This story comes from a remarkable 40-year study that followed the lives of 456 boys from inner-city Boston. Regardless of intelligence, family income, ethnic background or amount of education, those who had worked as boys—even at simple household chores—enjoyed happier and more productive lives than those who had not.

Parents, be sure to give your children responsibilities and hold them accountable. As you do, you’re not only setting them up for future success and satisfaction, you’re giving them an opportunity to honor today’s verse and reap its eternal benefit of pleasing the Lord.
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.  -  Colossians 3:20 (ESV)

No, our farm was not a fall-back plan.  It was very, very intentional!


As long as we're on irritations, let me share another one.  We're on a roll, right?

Farm Women Work.

Do you know that some farmers are actually women?  Do you know how many times the assumption is made that within the farm family unit, it is the husband that does the work and the wife that cares for the kids, the home, and the huge garden that somehow is a requirement to prove your success as a "farm wife".  I bet you can see her in your mind right now-her apron floating around her as she stirs the pot on the stove.

Well, let me stir that pot.

I am a farmer.

I am a wife.

I am a mother.

I am not a farm wife-at least not the kind that society envisions.


I work outside daily.  I milk the cows, I feed the calves.  I helped cows deliver many of those calves.  I mow the hay. I rake the hay.  I haul the hay (we hire the baling done).  I shovel manure.  I can do anything that my husband can do.  My husband does many of things that people perceive to be women's work.  My husband and I both work inside and we both work outside.  Every single day.  We both help with the kids. Every single day.

At a run one time I mentioned that Rick didn't even have to practice running-and he still runs well. The response I got was this:

"He doesn't have to-he works all day."

...yeah. So do I.  I don't have to practice running because I'm doing less physical activity than he is.  I have to practice because my body is different, and that's just the way that God made me.  So on top of all of our daily work, I have to add in a run. 

A friend said I was just an oddball.  She said,"some women do way more than just the books (she laughs-we have an ongoing joke about "the books").  Some women call themselves farmers and don't do anything on the farm-not even the books."  She reminded me that I am a part of a very, very small percentage of people.  Farmers in general account for less than 2% of the population.  Those that are women are significantly less.  She encouraged me to just "let it go", noting that people just don't understand.  As the days go by there are less and less people who do.

I am reminded that there is only One whom I work for-and recognition for hard work from others really doesn't matter.

Colossians 4: 23-24 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.


Bottom Line?

Be intentional in work, and do your very best-work hard for God, and let go of the rest.


  


1 comment:

  1. Great stuff in this post! I have had to learn a lot about farming, and it is what we are choosing to do as well. Easy? NO. Worth it? YES. Definitely not a "fall back" career.

    ReplyDelete