Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Being Content

The great thing about Bragbook Facebook is that you get to see what everyone else is doing.  The worst thing about Facebook is that you get to see what everyone else is doing.

During the summer our Facebook page is covered with vacation pictures from trips that our "friends" took.  Sometimes, you get the minute-by-minute update on that cooler-then-ever event that they're at right now. 

Its hard to not let our minds go into jealously mode, thinking about how much we'd like to go away, or do what so-and-so is doing, or have that new gadget. Sometimes we have to work extra hard to just be grateful for what we have right here and now.

I have been on some pretty good vacations in my lifetime.  The only vacation I remember going on with my oldest sister was to California, when my dad was president of the Clinton County Farm Bureau.  Being in 1st grade the plane ride alone would have been good enough, but we also got to stay in a top-notch conference center and went to Newport Beach and Disneyland.  I don't remember doing anything with my oldest sister, but I know she was there.  Fast forward 25 years and I got to go on an over-nighter with my sister. We rode in her Mustang, all by ourselves, down to Ohio.  We listened to songs that were not played on family life radio.  We had a little sleepover with my sister from Florida and her daughter in a large bedroom at my brother's house.  If you just forget the why for the trip it would top out as #1 in memories of trips with both my sisters.  But the funeral visitation for little Marcie the next day was horrible.

Growing up mom and dad took the rest of us on a trip to New Mexico, and me and friend twice to Nashville, Tennessee.  There were awesome 4-H trips that filled in the gaps, including white-water rafting in Pennsylvania, a trip to Gettysburg, and a trip to Washington, D.C.

We have struggled lately with having time off.  As a family, we had a three day weekend last October before the baby was born, the day the baby was born, and a one week vacation while the cows were dry in March.  Individually, Rick's had off to go on the boy's 4-H trips, and the Red Power Show in Ohio.  Rick has worked our last two weekends "off" so I could sleep in, and I went to the AFGC conference in January, and Cousin Camp-out.  Its not the same, though. Being married, God sees us as one.  Even if I'm off, its hard to get that project in the house done, or take the 5 kids anywhere, by myself.  And it certainly isn't nearly as much fun.

The problem was/is somewhat situational; somewhat choice.  The good news is we've spent the last four weeks finding our additional team member!  With his permission, I look forward to introducing him soon.  He will be a good addition to our current team member, Ashley, who has been with us for almost 3 years.

I won't however, let myself go into trip planning mode just yet.  We're not necessarily free and clear every other weekend.  Sometimes, my mind will wander into a campground or state park, but I quickly shut it down until we see how things work out.  One time, 4 years ago, we hired a girl, and trained her for two weeks.  One morning I called and made non-refundable reservations at a state park in Kentucky. That afternoon she called and quit.

For the time being we will concentrate on being grateful for what we have gotten to do and what we have right here at home.  Just living in this house, having freedom to go outside, checking Facebook, worshiping on Sunday morning, having more than 1 child, and owning our own farm are all things to be grateful for, and all things that somebody else is longing for.

The Bible reminds us:

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

1 Timothy 6:6-8
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

Philippians 4: 11-13
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment