Sunday, July 28, 2013

Like a Fly on Fly-Tape

 

A child growing up on a farm is like a fly on fly tape.  No matter how hard you try to separate yourself and get off the farm; a part of you is always stuck….

We’ve all read many stories about kids returning to farm; they run off after high school to college, test their footing in the real world, get a degree, start a career, yet something is missing. Then, they return home to Mom and Dad, or a Grandparent, go into a partnership and the rest is history.

My story is a bit different.  I grew up on farm, like many kids, with all the activities and opportunities that it has to offer them. My chores started with feeding calves; then I moved up to milking and feeding cows, and other tougher responsibilities.

I realized in high school that I wanted to farm.  When my parents switched from conventional dairying to rotational grazing I realized that I just might have a chance. In fact, I wasn’t planning on going to college at all. It was my Dad who thought I should go “so I’d have something to fall back on”.  It was fun; educational; and it did give me some good internship opportunities with huge learning experiences.

As soon as I was done with college I worked full time for my parents, got married, bought a farm, and started a dairy.  Our dream came true and we live it everyday.  Our kids have 120 acres to explore; they are home schooled and raised by their parents.  We raise most all of our own grass fed meat (beef, pork & poultry), drink our own cows’ milk, and have a modest garden.  We work hard in return for all of this; but hard work is good for us.  It’s good for our kids to know what hard work is.

If you feel like you still have a wing or a foot stuck in the agricultural way of life I encourage you to stop struggling to get off the fly tape. Embrace it.  Even if you are unable to farm on your own for a full time living, you can probably grow a garden, join a community supported agriculture group, enroll the kids in 4-H, or put up a backyard chicken coop.  Make an appointment to take the kids to visit your local farmer and show them that food doesn’t magically appear on the grocery store shelves.  Don’t run from your roots; cherish everything that farming has taught you, then teach it to your kids.

Come out this week for the Clinton County 4-H & Youth Fair.  Next to the city park in St. Johns, there are many things to do and see. Nightly entertainment, youth animal shows, projects on display, and great food.  This fair has a reputation for cleanliness, friendliness, and fun.  Come visit with your neighbors and friends at the fair! July 29th-August 1st, 2013.

4 comments:

  1. I love fair week and seeing all the hard work pay off for the kids. Fun times for sure. Good luck to your kids as they show this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clinton County 4H fair is a true fair in the spirit of old fashion fairs; no carnival rides, or beer tents, just a great time for families to appreciate their local farmers and future farmers. The projects are always amazing and the hard work and talent abounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, Jane! It was great to see you this week. Our oldest has learned this week what it truly means to "finish" and "never quit" giving it your all. We, (and about 100 other people) will never forget it!

    ReplyDelete